In general, a study of design, implementation, development, support or management of computer-based information systems, especially in the application of hardware (hardware) and software (computer software). Simply put, the understanding of information technology is the facilities consisting of hardware and software in supporting and improving the quality of information for every level of society quickly and quality. Meanwhile, according to Wikipedia, the understanding of Information technology (IT) is a general term of technology to assist humans in making, changing, storing, communicating, and disseminating information. The purpose of information technology is to solve a problem, open creativity, increase effectiveness and efficiency in human activities.
Understanding Information Technology (IT) According to Experts
1. Haag and Keen (1996): Understanding of information technology according to Haag and Keen that information technology is a set of tools that help you work with information and perform tasks related to information processing. 2. Oxford English Dictonary (OED): Information technology is hardware and software and can include networks and telecommunications which are usually in a business or business context. 3. Williams and Sawyer (2003): According to Williams and Sawyer, that the notion of information technology is technology that combines computing (computers) with high-speed communication lines that carry data, voice, and video. 4. Martin (1999): According to Martin, information technology is a technology not only in computer technology (hardware and software) that will be used to process and store information, but includes communication technology to send or disseminate information.
Information Technology Function
From information technology, including the following:
1. Capture Capture here can be interpreted as inputting. For example, receiving input from the mic, keyboard, scanner, and others.
2. Processing (Processing) Processing or processing data entered received to become information. Processing and data processing can be in the form of converting, analyzing, and calculating (calculation).
3. Generating (Generating) Produce or organize information into useful forms or reports that can be understood by others. For example, such as reports, tables, graphs and images.
4. Storing (Storage) Recording or storing data and information in a media that can be used for other purposes. Examples are saving to hard disk, flash disk, tape, and others.
5. Searching Back (Retrival) Browse and retrieve information or copy data and information that has been stored. For example looking for sales data that has been previously stored.
6. Transmitting (Transmission) Sending data and information from one location to another through a computer network. For example, by sending sales data from user A to another user.
Thus information about the understanding of information technology, objectives, and functions. Hopefully it can be useful for all of us both in helping our daily activities related to technology needs and getting information.